Home / News / Administration / New campus media executive officers announced

New campus media executive officers announced

The Campus Communications Board has made its selections for VSU’s fall 2011 Student Media executive officer positions.   The positions include station manager for Blaze FM and chief editorial positions for the Spectator and the Odradek.

Bolstered by his previous experience at the campus radio station and the support of his staff, Daniel Oakes was selected to return to his post as station manager for WVVS 90.9, “Blaze FM”.

The station manager supervises the station and staff, while ensuring that the station and its broadcasts comply with Federal Communications Commission (FFC) regulations.

“My staff encouraged me to run again,” Oakes said. “It’s nice to have that vote of confidence from my staff. I want to make Blaze FM bigger and better.”

Currently working as managing editor for The Spectator, Desiree Thompson will move into the position of editor-in-chief for the student newspaper this fall.

The editor-in-chief oversees the production of the paper, managing everything from its editorial direction to its layout.

“I want to create a newspaper that students can really depend on, a paper that’s more than just a paper,” Thompson said.
“I want to make effective changes to the web version too.”

Michael Martinez, Katy Click, Scotty Lingelbach and Kaylor Maddox were selected to fill the Odradek’s chief editorial spots.

Among other responsibilities, the new editors will manage the literary magazine’s selection of works, piece together the magazine’s editorial and production staff, and present an annual reading of the Odradek.

Click and Martinez will be focusing on the creative non-fiction sections of the Odradek. Lingelbach will continue to serve as copy editor for the magazine’s poetry section and Maddox will continue to serve as copy editor for the magazine’s fiction section.
The Campus Communications Board functions as a go-between for campus media and administration.

Not only does the Campus Communications Board select new officers to fill Student Media executive officer positions, it also regulates and reviews policy for campus media.

The board is composed of a chair, along with several representatives from local media outlets, campus organizations and faculty advisors.

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...