Home / News / Administration / VSU plans search for new position, Chief of Staff

VSU plans search for new position, Chief of Staff

by Jessica Cooke

VSU will soon begin searching for a qualified candidate to fill the new position of Chief of Staff.

The chief of staff will advise and assist President William McKinney on internal and external matters. The role of presidency has required presidents of universities to become more involved with respect to board, government and corporate relations. With these requirements at hand, more presidents are hiring chief of staffs or similar assistants.

Of the 31 University System of Georgia presidents, 12 hired a chief of staff or someone of a similar position. Of these 12, four of them are research universities, and three of those four are comprehensive universities, yet VSU is the only university of the comprehensive category that has never hired a chief of staff.

A candidate for the position is required to have a Ph. D., experience in higher education leadership other than a department level, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to handle large tasks involving various people on and off campus.

“I will expect my chief of staff to not only oversee the daily and strategic operations of the office of the president but to also take the lead on strategic projects that require coordination between multiple divisions within the university,” President McKinney said.

President McKinney hasn’t advertised the position yet, so it remains open until filled.

John Robinson: Artist and Survivor

In the annals of history, there are stories that stand as a testament of ...