Home / News / Model United Nations places highs at national competition

Model United Nations places highs at national competition

Written by Jamel Shorter, Staff Writer

VSU has many hidden talents and hardworking students that aren’t in the everyday spotlight, and some of these students are in the VSU chapter of the Model United Nations.

The Model United Nations is an academic competition in which students engage in diplomacy, matters about international relations and the United Nations. It ideally is a simulator where students portray ambassadors from various countries and get experience in the fields in which they aspire join.

Paige Dumas, junior political science major and public relations representative for the Model UN here at VSU, spoke about what has been going on within the organization.

Paige spoke about how last month they hosted a high school conference, where 300 students from all across the state of Georgia came and stimulated United Nations procedures. The students also received the opportunity to interact with students and see the campus as well.

Model United Nations recently finished nationals, which were held in New York, and placed in the top 15 percent.

“We are very excited about placing in the top 15 percent because this (is) a new group of members, all of our past members have graduated, and we were very nervous but also very proud of ourselves,” Paige said.

Paige also explained why this team is so great to work with.

“We’re all friends…We ended up working well together as a team and listening to the thoughts of other students around us and being a really good delegation,” Paige said.

Also while in New York, at the conference, our students met people from Lebanon, France, Tokyo and even Taiwan with all the same goals and aspirations.

What’s next for the Model UN? The team is hoping to be granted the opportunity of going to the Czech Republic, for another Model UN conference, and if they don’t attend that specific event then the team will head up to Atlanta for regionals.

The team is hoping to achieve their goal of going to the Czech Republic and currently starting up fundraising projects and continue with community work, as well. To support their team, anyone can contact chapter president, Jennifer Dandron, or Dr. Carol Glenn, their faculty advisor.

SGA and campus police team up for student event

VSU’s Student Government Association (SGA) held a combined event with the campus police department and ...