Home / Fall 2015 / Previous NFL star defends VSU

Previous NFL star defends VSU

Written by Aldean Starr, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Valdosta.edu
Courtesy of Valdosta.edu

The VSU football team made some changes to the coaching staff this offseason that is headlined by the signing of new defensive coordinator Chad Williams from Blazers rival West Georgia.

Williams will be the third defensive coordinator at Valdosta State in three years after coach Bubba Walker left this offseason for a position at Colquitt County high school.

The Blazers are currently ranked No. 16 in the American Football Coaches Association and Williams plans to use his coaching and NFL experience to lead the Blazers to the top by the end of this season.

Williams was an all-conference safety for multiple years at the University of Southern Miss.

His accomplishments in college helped him become a sixth round pick in the NFL draft. He spent five years in the NFL playing for the Baltimore Ravens, San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs before he pursued his coaching career.

Williams gained experience on the staff of Jacksonville State and Middle Tennessee state as a graduate assistant. Williams also had the chance to coach at the high school level and Morehouse College before his latest job at West Georgia in which he was the special team’s coordinator and linebackers coach.

When Williams was asked about why he would leave a West Georgia squad that is ranked ahead of the Blazers in the Gulf South Conference and actually knocked the Blazers out of playoff contention last season, Coach Williams, made it clear it was a better opportunity.

Williams expressed how the Blazers have a great football tradition and he has the opportunity to help students grow on and off the field. He also expressed how the defensive coordinator position offers more opportunity to call plays and gain recognition than the special team’s coordinator position.

Williams also mentioned how impressed he has been with the whole defensive unit and does not plan to make drastic changes. He does look forward to help improving the defensive unit’s fundamentals and techniques. As far as scheme, he mentioned the Blazers should look similar but play faster and tougher but will still be running a 4-3 alignment.

Williams defense looked impressive during their first official scrimmage this preseason in which they dominated by forcing three and outs on the first five drives by playing fast and flying all over the field.

When Williams was asked about individuals that had the biggest influence on him and what the NFL taught him, Williams responded by mentioning the names Tyrone Nix, Rex Ryan and Mike Nolan. He spoke on how these mentors and the NFL taught him principles of how to play the game and what it takes to be a leader and gain friendships throughout the profession.

Williams will get his debut at defensive coordinator for the No.16 ranked Blazers against Albany State where the Blazers are favorited to win this game..

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...