Home / Campus Life / Myth Blazers: Persistent rumors live on throughout VSU’s campus and are difficult to disprove

Myth Blazers: Persistent rumors live on throughout VSU’s campus and are difficult to disprove

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/SPECTATOR

Written by Olivia Studdard, Staff Writer

Three…Two…One…

At fifteen minutes on the dot, if the professor is absent from a class, every student hits the road, eager to get on with the rest of their day.

The VSU seal located in West Hall is rumored to be lucky. The myth is that stepping on the seal should be avoided, because walking on the golden letters could cause students not to graduate on time.

But are either of these actually true? Does a footprint on a seal or lack thereof, impact your graduation date? Is there a rule in the student hand book that states that it is okay to leave the classroom if a professor is tardy? The short answer to these questions would be no.

The myth surrounding leaving a classroom if a professor is tardy has been floating around for ages. However, after talking to a few professors around campus, all have said that it was not a rule that they would recommend serious students follow. It’s also not something that they take into consideration when preparing to give out final grades. So the next time that you are considering skipping class because your professor is late, you may want to think twice and send your professor an email to be sure. They’re human just like the rest of us.

The seal in West Hall was put in place around the time that sidewalk and front lawn construction began at VSU. It is uncertain when the myth first arose, but it has been passed down from generation to generation of VSU students. With the rise of student loan fees and debt that follows many college students, it’s a wonder that many haven’t suggested removing the seal entirely from fear. However, not all students are falling into this trap.

English major and alumni, Chassity Smith, says that she stepped across, on top of, and over the seal several times during her years at VSU.

“I never gave much thought to the myth or the seal. It’s just a silly rumor. I graduated on time,” Smith said.

Filled with late nights and Netflix binging, college brings a whole new world of experiences and chances to see the world differently. It also brings lies, myths and secrets. Whether you choose to believe them can make or break your time here at VSU. What will you believe?

Counseling Center helps students with final exam stress

Final exams are approaching, which means this is when most students put in the slightest ...

One comment

1. I went to VSU for all four years of college and I’ve heard the rumors too. Sadly, I definitely believed the 15-minute tardy rule. I don’t remember if I actually got up and left class though (probably!) Anyway, this is amusing and brings back memories. Thank you for writing this!