Home / Fall 2015 / Battle continues for same sex marriage

Battle continues for same sex marriage

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/SPECTATOR

Written by Jordan Barela, Editor-in-Chief

Whatever the Supreme Court decides, that is the law. And people have to follow the law, right?

Well, Alabama, Kentucky, Nebraska and Texas seemed to have missed the message.

Last month, same-sex marriage was legalized in all 50 states.

Social media, the news, basically every corner of America was full of pride, rainbows and happiness.

According to a Buzzfeed News article, there are some parts of the states above that are not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. In fact, some places have stopped issuing marriage licenses to all couples. Ridiculous.

First off, if the Supreme Court rules that something is legal, why would you not follow the law? While the regulations between state and federal law can often become murky, gay marriage is now perfectly legal.

Secondly, while gay marriage is legal, I can see how this may conflict with some people’s beliefs. Kim Davis, a clerk in Kentucky is grabbing headlines for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples due to religious beliefs.

And this is where things become even more difficult.

As a member of the LGBT community, I agree that we should be able to marry wherever, whenever. Nothing should stop us, especially with same-sex marriage (finally) becoming legal.

As a journalist, I agree with both the basic right for individuals to marry and for Kim Davis to be able to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples due to religious beliefs.

While I find her acts highly offensive, I have to support the right for her to have her view, because it allows me to have my outlook as well.

However, I believe that you should not let your beliefs get in the way of another person’s happiness. While religious beliefs are of high importance and value to some people, just because two men or two women decide to get married out of love, why would someone single handily try to ruin their shot at happiness?

The First Amendment does not work for one person and not the other.

Consider the First Amendment a see-saw. You have to work with someone to move the contraption, but both of you end up going in the same direction.

Editorial: VSU should begin spirit days as a tradition during homecoming week

Homecoming week is the most exciting time of year for college students. As we are ...