Home / Fall 2015 / VSU goes Bananas: Social media and campus ablaze over escaped monkey

VSU goes Bananas: Social media and campus ablaze over escaped monkey

Written by Jordan Barela, Editor-in-Chief

VSU was caught in a state of monkey business on Thursday, Sept. 10.

According to VSU biology professor, Collen McDonough who specializes in animal behavior, coming into contact with the monkey could be dangerous. McDonough said that the monkey is considered to be wild and warns people not to go near the monkey if they see it.

An alert was sent out via text warning the VSU populace that an escaped monkey was spotted near campus. The alert also warned people not to touch the animal, but to call VSU Police or 911.

Social media was ablaze. Users were posting tweets, yaks and posts about the sighting of the alleged monkey.

According to the Valdosta Police Department, VSUPD was alerted of the monkey sighting by Valdosta police.

Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress told the Valdosta Daily Times in an article published today that “if there is a monkey, [it] is still at large and was last reported seen traveling towards Madison County, Fla.”

The Valdosta Daily Times also reported that the monkey has not been found.

However, in the same article, the monkey has had reported sightings starting the week prior to the VSU alert being sent out.

The question on everyone’s mind: is where did the monkey come from?

“I think that it’s a pet that got away,” Dr. McDonough said. “I feel bad for it, because it’s probably someone’s pet and it’s probably hungry.”

This is not the first time that a monkey has run rampant in Valdosta.

According to both Dr. McDonough and the Valdosta Daily Times, another monkey named “General” escaped several years ago and was never found.

An escaped monkey doesn’t happen often, and when it does, it brings out the humorous side of VSU.

“The monkey could’ve come from Wild Adventures, or the Alphas let the monkey out,” said Tahbius Hughes, a junior music major. “That’s my theory… I love monkeys.”

Dr. McDonough also found humor in the situation. According to her, she and the biology department talked utilizing bananas to lure the monkey out.

If anyone sees the monkey, he or she is urged to contact VSUPD or 911.

VPD creates summer program for area young people

The Valdosta Police Department (VPD) has announced a new youth program. Stand Against Youth Violence ...