Home / Fall 2015 / Comedian’s fat shaming more cruel than funny

Comedian’s fat shaming more cruel than funny

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/SPECTATOR

Written by Mayah Centave, Staff Writer

Recently, I watched a video by “comedian” Nicole Arbour called “Dear Fat People”, and it was pretty awful.

In the video, Arbour gives her opinion about obese people. She says that she believes that obese people make themselves obese, but she also points out that if a person has a physical disease the video is not for them.

“Fat shaming is not a thing. Fat people made that up. It’s the race card, without the race,” said Arbour.

She then goes on describing her experiences with “fat people”. She talks about an experience where she was standing in line behind an obese person and was upset, because she couldn’t get Starbucks.

“I’m a white girl; this is a problem,” Arbour said.

She continues fat shaming obese people by saying that they should have parking passes and need to have parking spot in the back of the lot, because it is like “assisted suicide” and people with shopping bags are the ones who actually need the close parking spots.

In my opinion, she’s not funny. I watched all six minutes of this video, and I didn’t laugh once. Not even a little bit.

Nicole Arbour is a skinny blonde with a bad attitude and not all that attractive. She doesn’t have room to talk about anyone.

So far Arbour has reached a little over 29 million views. Shortly after the video was uploaded to YouTube, Arbour’s channel was suspended. Arbour then took to Twitter saying that she “literally broke the internet… with comedy #censorship”.

Even though she’s obnoxious, and I don’t agree with the things she said, I don’t believe she should be censored for speaking her mind.

If that’s what she believes, let her continue to think that the world is just black and white with no exceptions.

TLC star, Whitney Way Thore, of the show “My Big Fat Fabulous Life”, was one of many people who showed opposition to Arbour’s video. Thore suffers from polycystic ovary syndrome.

“You cannot tell a person’s health, physical or otherwise, from looking at them,” said Thore.

Thore was funnier than the so-called comedian, Arbour, and she described the effects of body-shaming and told viewers to love their body no matter what.

“Your weight does not measure your wealth,” Thore said.

Body shaming is a real thing. It’s a problem. It affects millions of people all around the world. As people, we need to join together to help people learn to love themselves. #NOBODYSHAME

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...