Home / Fall 2015 / Millennial marriage: Why is everyone getting hitched?

Millennial marriage: Why is everyone getting hitched?

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/SPECTATOR

Written by Kenzie Kesselring, Opinions Editor

By the time you are in college, it seems as if every time you log into Facebook someone you went to high school with just got married. You can’t get on Instagram without seeing the girl from your soccer team’s beautiful engagement ring, and Twitter is plagued with the count down to the wedding of the boy from your math class junior year. Some days it seems like every millennial is getting married. However, multiple studies have shown that most millennials are doing the opposite.

Many of the studies have shown that the average age for millennials to tie the knot is 27 for women and 29 for men. In Georgia, the average age for marriage is 26 years old.

So why does it seem like every time you unlock your phone and go on social media another person you know is getting hitched?

It’s no secret that the majority of millennials publicize almost everything in their lives on social media—relationships, marriage and kids are no exception. Many millennials browse social media every day, causing them to see a small minority of their peers who are married post about their lives.

Relationships that are splashed on social media catch the attention of the millennials who are not yet close to marriage. Millennials are not only getting married later, but many are choosing not to forgo marriage altogether. The decisions to have children out of wedlock or deciding to be a serial dater instead of settling down do not have the same stigmas attached to them as they did 30 years ago.

Millennials seem to have an open mind in regards to family life decisions. The idea of the “traditional family” has proved not to work out very well for some seeing as the divorce rate is at 50 percent in America, according to the American Psychological Association.

The reasons why millennials are choosing to get married later or not at all vary from person to person. It is ok to choose to not get married. Whether it’s to pursue higher education, being devastated by divorce as a child, or because the cost of marriage is expensive, the decision to not getting married until later in life will not affect America like it has other countries.

American millennials have figured out the perfect hack to a happy relationship and life: do whatever makes you happy.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...