Home / Opinions / Is America ready for a non-Christian President?

Is America ready for a non-Christian President?

Written by Geneva Crooks, Staff Writer

As the 2016 Presidential elections quickly approach, we are faced with not only saying goodbye to the Obama’s, but also welcoming in a new President for the next four years.

The United States has been a country loosely based off of our Founding Fathers’ religion, Christianity, since its early years. However, Christianity was never branded as the religion for our nation, but many Americans believe Christianity acts as a moral compass for how our country should be run.

With Christianity being so deeply rooted in the beginnings of our country not many Americans can even imagine what it would be like to not have a Christian president. “In God We Trust,” as the dollar bill so blatantly has printed across it, shows just how big of a part Christianity has played in our country for centuries.

In the U.S we have had a total of 43 presidents and all of them have been Christians. So when I’m faced with the question “Is the United States ready for a non-Christian president?” I would have to say no. Not just because we’ve never had one, but with the recent legalization of same sex marriage, Americans are gradually being brought into a new way of looking at diverse situations. These changes cannot be thrown at Christian U.S citizens all at once.

There are a plethora of people currently running for president right now, and all of them are either Christian or Catholic, except for one. Bernie Sanders practices Judaism, and me and many other Christian people stand behind him.

Although I am a full supporter of electing whoever is best to fill the position regardless their religion, many right wing voters do not feel the same. The fact that Donald Trump has so many supporters says a lot about where Americans stand as far as their ideals. So although I don’t think America is ready for a non-Christian President, I do believe that there will be one in the future.

Head over to our Twitter to partake in this week’s poll.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...