Home / Opinions / Despite haters, you can be a feminine feminist

Despite haters, you can be a feminine feminist

Ashlee (right) sports an Elle lemon print top ($40) and Elle floral punch skirt ($54) with a lime-colored watch ($24.99), cuff bracelet ($26), earrings ($22) and ring ($30) all from Kohl’s; a pink, green and pearl necklace ($42) at Paperdolls, 110 East Jefferson Avenue, Kirkwood, or 14418 Clayton Road, Ballwin; and a clear lucite necklace by Abra Gorby ($170) at Craft Alliance, 6640 Delmar Boulevard. Toni wears a white wide leg gaucho pants by Worthington ($40) at J.C. Penney; a gold and lucite nugget necklace by Abra Gorby ($70) at Craft Alliance; and peach button-down shirt ($36), Juicy Couture bracelet ($30) and white Sole Senseability sandals ($64.99) at Kohl’s; long necklace ($48) at Paperdolls. Shot on location at elephant exhibit on Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at the St. Louis Zoo. (Huy Mach/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS)

Written by Jada Duke, Staff Writer

Does having fleeky eyebrows and a bomb contour mean you’re not a feminist? Does rocking a sultry eye look and a bold lip mean you’re in favor of the wage gap?

Well, According to some members of the feminist society these statements could not be more accurate. Certain feminist feel that women who wear makeup cannot proclaim themselves as feminist because it is their belief that the act of wearing makeup would suggest that they are in support of gender inequality and the misrepresentation of women and what it means to be beautiful within the beauty industry. This is a very complex topic because there is some truth in this belief but, there are also a lot of faults as well.

The act of wearing makeup should not affect the amount of credibility a woman has to speak on feminist issues; In fact, is it not a feminist belief that neither one’s gender nor their appearance should determine their capability or overall intelligence? This way of thinking is reminiscent of the misogynistic phrase “who wears the pants in your relationship?” which alludes to the idea that the act of wearing pants defines how dominant/masculine you are and that the act of wearing a skirt or a dress determines how submissive/ feminine you are. When put in comparison they both seem pretty ridiculous.

However, there are some valid points within this belief. It is very true that there is a false image of beauty being fed to women all over the U.S. and although there are certain companies like Dove, and American Eagle that are trying to combat these unrealistic forms of beauty portrayed in the media, the fight has really just begun.

As for makeup companies, there is a lot that can be said about the models chosen to advertise these products and the amount of photo shopping used to make these models appear “beautiful.” It is also true that makeup can change how women are perceived by their friends and colleagues.

Makeup can also serve as a form of self-expression; some women feel that makeup allows them to show off their personality and would compare it to changing their hair color.

In certain situations appearance is everything; it is seldom that a woman with a corporate job will ever walk into her office with a bare face and a messy bun simply because she knows it will be perceived as unprofessional by her colleagues and while this is true that doesn’t necessarily make it right either.

The real issue here lies within the patriarchal views placed upon women by the cosmetic, television, and movie industries.

When it comes down to it, feminism should have nothing to do with the amount of makeup a woman wears.  A woman’s ability to be a feminist should only rely on her belief that women and men should receive equal rights and fair treatment.

So if you’re a feminist who enjoys wearing makeup and debunking misogyny more power to you girlfriend!!

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...