Home / Opinions / Sexism strikes again: Women pay more for basic necessities than men

Sexism strikes again: Women pay more for basic necessities than men

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Julie Jernigan, Staff Writer

Let’s add another reason why it sucks to be a woman, shall we? Not only are we paid less for doing the same job as men, we also pay more for similar household items.

According to the Department of Consumer Affaires, women pay 7% more, which adds up to $1,351 annually. For example, Cosmopolitan showed how Schick hydro silk for women cartridges cost $18.49, and the men equivalent cost $14.99. I found that a women’s white button up shirt at Old Navy cost $26.94, and the exact same men’s button up is $24.

In an article from the Huffington Post, Emily Spensieri, president of Female Engineered Marketing said, “It boils down to marketers knowing they can get away with it.” They know that women are more likely to pay more, because they’re more involved in the process.

The article also said that women tend not care if things are in men’s packaging, because they want the best deal, rather than a man who refuses to buy anything in a “girly” color. Because of women buying cheaper men products, the suppliers are bumping the prices of women products to counterbalance.

This peculiarity-known as the “pink tax”- has been going for quite some time, and experts say it’s not going away.

From a marketing standpoint it is a very smart business move. We as consumers can choose not to buy the more expensive products, but that still doesn’t mean it’s fair. When are women going to catch a break?

It is honestly baffling how we still live in a sexist world. The way to fix the problem is to talk about it. Chances are not many people have noticed the differences, and the more we talk about it the more people know.

Target, the major retailer, was under fire awhile back as people noticed Target was advertising women’s and girl’s toys and clothes higher than men’s and boy’s, as reported by Cosmopolitan. After the media attention, Target dropped the prices of most products so they were all equal. If we all apply pressure and add attention to the major manufacturers and retailers, maybe we can start change.

For now though, I’m going to start buying men’s razors.

Editorial: VSU should begin spirit days as a tradition during homecoming week

Homecoming week is the most exciting time of year for college students. As we are ...