Home / News / SGA Elections: Time to make your voice heard!

SGA Elections: Time to make your voice heard!

VSU students gathered in Jennett Hall to hear the plans that the SGA candidates have for the 2016-2017 school year. (Phot Courtesy of Kyle Dawson/THE SPECTATOR)

Written by Jyrell Wynn, Correspondent

As Blazers, it seems sometimes that students have little control over the situations that occur on campus. Students are simply just passengers as business continues as usual, but there is a silver lining as SGA Election Day approaches.

On April 6, a debate was held in Jennett Hall where the candidates were able to state their goals in office. Transparency was the main issue discussed in the meeting as each candidate explained the importance of making information public.

Erin Shaw and Sam Stalvey were both running for the comptroller position. Stalvey wants students to feel welcomed and informed with responsible transparency. Erin Shaw wants SGA and the senate to be open to diversity.

Cassidy Phillips and Othellious Cato were both running for vice president. Phillips argued for leading by example through having healthier options in the Student Union and Cato wants to raise standards in SGA to be more effective.

Belinda Bell and Maya Mapp were both running for president with Bell focusing on making parking safer, ensuring healthier restaurant options, and providing a 24-hour online learning service. Mapp wants to connect Valdosta State with the Lowndes community, embrace diversity, and encourage students to be great.

On Thursday at 12:01 a.m. to Friday at 11:59 p.m., students can vote through the VSU homepage for the candidates they want to see in office.

If you want to learn more about each candidate, go HERE.

VPD creates summer program for area young people

The Valdosta Police Department (VPD) has announced a new youth program. Stand Against Youth Violence ...