Home / Fall 2016 / Things to keep in mind

Things to keep in mind

Photo Illustration by Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Julia Rodriquez, Opinions Editor

Whether this is your first year, last year, or anything in between, there are a few things for us all to keep in mind.  First of all, VSU is always changing and improving, so no matter how long you have been a student, there are constantly new things to check out.  Some of the dining options, for example, have been replaced, improved or moved.

Besides remembering to look for new features of the school, there are social things to keep in mind as well.  Through the stress and fluster of starting a new semester, we often forget about those back home.  Try to squeeze in a phone call to a loved one at least once a week.  Through the ups and downs you will face this semester, family will always stand behind you and it is important to keep that bond.

After the needed phone call, take a step back and breathe.  Relearn your coping methods for stress.  No matter how bad things seem to get, you can always move past it.  One failed test is not the end of the world, but try not to make a habit of it.  Friends come and go, and though it may hurt, it is usually for the best.  Keep in mind, it is always okay to ask for help.

Through the personal struggles you may encounter, consider that there are those around you who are facing their own mountains.  Be kind.  Though you may not be a new student, there are many around you who could ask for your assistance finding or doing something.  Remember that you were once in their shoes.

Additionally, just because you are kind, does not mean someone will be kind in return, but do not let your positivity waver.  Everyone has an off day, so try to give others the benefit of the doubt.

You can achieve any goal you set for yourself.  Work hard and keep your head up.  Good luck and have a great semester.

Fall 2016 Graduation: A goodbye from our seniors…

Straight outta VSU My journey at Valdosta State University has been a long one. There ...