Home / Fall 2016 / New Era, Same Tradition

New Era, Same Tradition

Written by Juston Lewis, Staff Writer

There is a new era upon Valdosta State football, the Kerwin Bell Era.

In January, Coach Bell was named new head football coach for VSU. Being the new coach has come with many obstacles.

“You can’t have a bunch of individuals,” Bell said. “You try to get everybody on board and get the train rolling.”

Bell also stressed the importance of family. He said he wants his players to treat each other as family and keep the same values of a family.

“If we can trust each other, take care of each other and believe in each other, we’ve accomplished something pretty big,” Bell says.

In order to build that sense of family, Bell said he will look to certain players on the team to set an example and be leaders.

“Kenny Moore stands out extremely well and also Egim Etta-Towa is an extremely hard worker,” Bell said. “Those two stand out on defense. Even though Roland Rivers is a young guy, a red-shirt sophomore he’s our quarterback. People are looking from leadership out of him and he shows that every day. Jordan Germany at running back and Josh Adams on the Offensive line are guys that I think are natural leaders.

When asked what it would take to bring a fourth national championship to VSU, Coach Bell said that staying healthy and coming together as a team were the key.

As far as health, injuries happen and coach Bell said that he and his staff will have to make proper adjustments if and when they come, which he said has to do with the family mantra that he preaches.

“Just take care of each other,” Bell said, “Greatness doesn’t just happen.”

Bell also said he told his players to take care of their school work, take care of their bodies and to continue to work on themselves as a player. He reminded players that they are students first and athletes second.

“I want to do right by our players, on and off the field,” Bell said.

That is not to say he doesn’t have a national championship on his mind. Before breaking practice down Bell told his players, “We got a National Championship to win!”

The Blazers open their season in pursuit of VSU’s fourth title this Saturday at 7p.m. against Albany State.

Sharks Sink Lady Blazers Historic Season

The Nova Southeastern Lady Sharks upset the Valdosta State Lady Blazers in the Round of ...