Home / Fall 2016 / Storm Hermine arrives

Storm Hermine arrives

(Photo Credit: Wikipedia)

Written by Hunter Terrell, Staff Writer

With the storm Hermine coming at full speed, VSU is expected to have a stormy Labor Day weekend.

The Weather Channel predicts thunderstorms late Thursday through early Sunday evening.

Interim Chief of Police, Alan Rowe emailed students with a tropical storm update early Wednesday afternoon stating “the storm has slowed and now is not expected to arrive in the VSU area until the late hours of Thursday evening, with the majority of expected rains and wind occurring on Friday.”

Rowe encourages students to “please monitor campus emails, registered alert system devices, and social/traditional media for any updates as they become available.”

Sophomore Bryan Clark is not really fazed by the expected weather. “I don’t mind the weather. Living in Florida and dealing with crazy weather all the time, a little thunderstorm won’t hurt us.”

Opposite of Clark, Junior Kennedy Gray said she is “slightly concerned” about the weather conditions to come. Though she doesn’t think classes should necessarily be canceled she does think it would “be in the best interest for the students and faculty. Especially commuters.”

Classes and VSU hours of operation will remain the same until further notice.

More information can be found on the VSU website, The Weather Channel, or through student email.

The forecast is as follows:

100% precipitation, wind up to 26mph, and thunderstorms throughout Thursday night and Friday morning.

Friday night is expected to have scattered storms with 40% precipitation and wind 10mph.

Hopefully it will be clearing up on Saturday with 20-40% precipitation and 4mph wind.

Sunday could be scattered storms or just partly cloudy with 5-10 mph wind.

By Monday, it should be mostly clear with a slight 20% chance of rain.

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...