Home / Campus Life / Review: VSU Group Fitness Classes
The Student Recreation Center will now stay open until 9 p.m. on Sundays.

Review: VSU Group Fitness Classes

Written by Shanice Barnes, Staff Writer

If you’re ready to commit to your New Year’s resolution to get back in shape, but find it hard to work-out alone or can’t afford a personal trainer on a student’s budget, then the Student Recreation Center’s group fitness classes are the perfect place to start.

The Rec Center offers a variety of group fitness classes, from beginner workouts to intermediate ones that offer more of a challenge.

Students conduct the classes, which can make you feel a little more comfortable because you’re working out with your peers.

These workout classes are perfect either before or after classes. The workouts typically last 50 minutes—just enough time to get in and out before class.

Some of the classes offered at the Rec Center include; yoga, PiYo, booty work, Zumba, spin and lift, hourglass figure and more.

There are a variety of classes and instructors to teach them. Dee is the booty work fitness class instructor on Sunday at 6 p.m., Adrienne on Tuesday at 7 p.m. and Kiana on Monday at 8 p.m.

Dee’s class was a very intense and effective workout. She challenged you to push yourself, so you can achieve the body you desire. I liked that the class involved more than typical squats. Dee was interactive, and we moved around a lot.

Jordan is the PiYo instructor at 8 a.m. on Monday. PiYo is a cross between Pilates and yoga. It utilizes the same stretching done in typical yoga but also gives the intensity of a Pilates workout; the two together are very relaxing and effective.

April is the Zumba instructor on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. and Tuesday at 9 p.m. The class gets you up and moving to the beat, literally. In the beginning, it starts pretty slow, but once you get through the warm up, it really gets you moving. The Zumba class is a fun way to get in shape. It doesn’t feel much like a workout; it’s fun and interactive, and, believe me, you can really feel the burn towards the end.

Kiana is the hourglass figure instructor on Tuesday at 8 p.m. The class focuses mainly on your core, so you can achieve those beach-ready abs you’ve been longing for.

Don’t be surprised if you go to a group fitness class and you end up being the only one there along with the instructor; it happens often. Just think of it as a way of getting one-on-one training.

For more information regarding any group fitness class, contact the Rec Center.

Counseling Center helps students with final exam stress

Final exams are approaching, which means this is when most students put in the slightest ...

One comment

1. Hello! I just like this post. This post is learning to any education.