Get ready students! Friday marks the first day of the 2012 Parents Weekend so be prepared to make this weekend one that your parents will enjoy.
To avoid watching TV this weekend, show your parents the perks of Valdosta with this list of 10 things to do:
- Give your stomach a break from campus dining and take your parents to downtown Valdosta for some delicious eats. For a great view of downtown and enjoyable food items, Steel Magnolias rooftop restaurant and bar is the place to go. Guests receive the chance to view historic North Patterson St. and its activities while enjoying a delectable meal.
- If looking for live entertainment, Bleu Pub is a venue for great music and local talent from blue grass bands to stand-up comedians. While you’re there, you have to try one of their specialty burgers.After eating at one of these downtown destinations, relax at one more with a cup of tea or coffee at Hildegards.
- For some outdoor fun, challenge your parents to a game of Frisbee golf in Freedom Park. The park has a well-designed Frisbee golf course with easy to hard levels. You can also take advantage of VSU’s front lawn and throw your own Frisbee or football.Not only is the front lawn a great place to relieve some energy but the VSU tennis courts are, as well. Remind your parents to bring their old tennis rackets and enjoy one of VSU’s four tennis courts.
- Now that it’s fall, Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area is the place to go. Grand Bay has a .5 mile walkway over the swamp bay area. The end of the walkway has a large lookout tower, which makes for great photos and a view.
- Show your Blazer pride Saturday when the VSU Blazers play the West Alabama Tigers.Before the game, take part in the Blazer Walk at 5:30. This event allows students and parents to walk the length of Williams St. while cheering on the players.
- Students and parents can buy tickets to Wild Adventures Amusement Park for only $29.99. This amusement park has over 10 rollercoasters to loosen up your parents after their long car ride.The Gospel Feast event will entice you, as well. This event will host an all you can eat buffet and inspirational music for $10. On the menu is fried chicken, smoked ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, collard greens and corn.
- Movies can be pricey these days, but convince your parents to take you to Valdosta Stadium 16, Valdosta’s local movie theatre.Take them to a free movie night in the Student Union. The Avengers will be playing at 9 p.m
- If you don’t want to sit still through a movie, you can always enjoy a bowling game at Jacs Bowling Alley. Tell your roommate or friend’s family to join and have a head-to-head bowling match. The winners can buy ice cream.
- Another on-campus event is Free Game Room Night, which allows you to test your parents’ pool, air hockey and Ping-Pong abilities. This will be held Friday 6-10 p.m.
- You have wandered the halls of VSU for a few weeks now, but learn more about the familiar territory by visiting the 4th floor of Odum Library. The 4th floor is home to the VSU Archives where you can appreciate the history behind your residence halls and classrooms. If history is something that interests you, look beyond VSU and visit Lowndes County Historical Society and Museum to explore the history of Valdosta.
To see more events, visit the VSU website at https://www.valdosta.edu/stulife/Events.shtml.