Home / Spring 2014 / 2014-03-27 / VSU to welcome eighth annual V-Day performance

VSU to welcome eighth annual V-Day performance

Written by: Rikysha Williams

Students can join the global movement to help prevent violence against women and girls.

VSU’s Women and Gender Studies program will perform its eighth annual rendition of “The Vagina Monologues” at 7 p.m. next Wednesday through Friday in Bailey Science Center Room 1011.

The play, written in 1994 by activist Eve Ensler, features dozens of interviews she conducted with women addressing women’s sexuality and the social stigmas surrounding rape and abuse. The result is a new conversation about women by women.

“(The play) offered the world a piece of art like nothing it had seen before,” Kaylan Hand, director of this year’s production, said.

“The Vagina Monologues” is part of V-Day, a global movement dedicated to raising funds and awareness to stop violence against women and girls.

The play is filled with laughter from beginning to end. The audience will enjoy real-life stories about how women from different cultures, ages and races find their sexuality through humor and grace.

“All of our ladies have worked very hard at this show and are all volunteers from VSU,” Hand said. “Everyone should come support their college friends, colleagues and student body.”

All ticket proceeds will be donated: 90 percent will go to local organizations such as The Haven and WGST’s Sexual Assault Prevention program, and the other 10 percent to the V-day Campaign. From donations to shows like this one, the V-day campaign has raised over $100 million to date.

Tickets are $5 with student ID and $10 general admission, cash or check. Due to limited seating, purchasing tickets in advance is highly advised, but they will also be available at the door.

Doors open at 6:15 p.m.

 

Check Also

Five takeaways from Blazers’ first 2019 showing

VSU opened the 2019 season as road warriors, defeating Albany State 38-3. The Blazers delivered ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *