Home / Fall 2015 / Pope’s idea not kept within party lines

Pope’s idea not kept within party lines

Pope Francis greets seminarians as he walks the loggia to his address to the bishops at St. Martin of Tours Chapel at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2015. (Tom Gralish/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

Written by Jyrell Wynn, Staff Writer

On Sept. 24, Pope Francis addressed Congress to speak on issues such as fundamentalism, supporting refugees and the environment, and condemning abortion.

Francis warned members of Congress and the public to be cautious of any form of fundamentalism, especially religious, because no religion can avoid destructive individuals or extremism.

“A delicate balance is required to combat violence perpetrated in the name of a religion, an ideology or an economic system, while also safeguarding religious freedom, intellectual freedom and individual freedoms,” said Francis.

He described the role of politics as our need to cooperate and share to promote peace with each other.

“Such cooperation is a powerful resource in the battle to eliminate new global forms of slavery, born of grave injustices which can be overcome only through new policies and new forms of social consensus,” said Francis.

The pope stated that the Syrian refugees should be treated respectfully, because Americans must relate to each other to build a nation.

Francis believes that abolishment of the death penalty is the best method, because “life is sacred and every human person is endowed with an inalienable dignity.”

He also believes that social issues such as poverty and the environment must be resolved by creating and distributing wealth and using technology to promote progress. Families, especially young members, must be given support and listened to, so we can have richness of family life.

Francis discussed concerns that any religious denomination or non-religious person could relate to. His visit to America gathered the nation together and allowed for public discussion on sensitive subjects. Pope Francis cannot be labeled a conservative or a liberal, because he has ideas that have a mass appeal beyond political parties and touch the humanity in all of us.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...