Home / Opinions / Sad attempt to defund Planned Parenthood fails: Obama vetos bill proposed by pro-life advocates

Sad attempt to defund Planned Parenthood fails: Obama vetos bill proposed by pro-life advocates

President Obama delivers remarks at UAW-GM Center for Human Resources (CHR), the national headquarters of the joint relationship between UAW and GM, during his visit to Detroit on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Romain Blanquart/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Written by Kenzie Kesselring, Opinions Editor

Earlier this month, President Obama vetoed a bill proposed essentially by Republicans that would defund Planned Parenthood. This bill was a reaction to rumors from last year that Planned Parenthood was selling parts of aborted fetuses.

It is no secret that our country is very polarized on the topic of abortion, but attempting to defund Planned Parenthood is going too far. According the Planned Parenthood break down of services provided to women in 2014, abortions made up only three percent of those.

Defunding Planned Parenthood would mean depriving middle and lower class American women their legal right to decide what happens to their bodies. Not only pertaining to abortions, but with testing for sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, and cancer screenings.

Wanting to defund an organization that aids women in getting the healthcare they deserve is just another shot fired in the war on women that is already rearing its’ ugly head in 2016.

However, even if Planned Parenthood only offered abortion services, 43 years ago the U.S Supreme Court decided the 14th amendment of the Constitution gave women the right to access an abortion.

One of the beautiful rights included in being an America citizen is not being forced to agree with our government or even one another. Although, it is often forgotten that one does not have to agree with someone to be respectful of his or her rights and opinions.

Pro-Life politicians and voters need to remember that just because something defies their religious or moral beliefs, it does not mean another citizen’s Constitutional rights can or should be stripped from them.

So, Pro-Life advocates, lay off. Lay off of Planned Parenthood. Lay off the estimated 30 percent of American women who have chosen to have an abortion, and stop pressuring the government to defund an entity that serves 2.7 million young men and women each year.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...