Home / Opinions / T-Swift throws a diss

T-Swift throws a diss

Taylor Swift backstage at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards on Monday, Feb. 15, 2016, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. (Allen J. Schaben /Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Written by Tyra Mills, Social Media Editor

This past week, the 2016 Grammy Awards took place. There were many highlights of the night, including Kendrick Lamar’s powerful performance and, of course, Queen Beyonce presenting Bruno Mars with the Record of the Year award.

The most interesting highlight of the night was Taylor Swift’s acceptance award speech. She won a Grammy for her 1989 album, taking home the Album of The Year award.

Kanye West was not at the Grammys, along with many other celebrities. Recently, he released not only a new album but a new video game and clothing line. He had a listening party at Madison Square Garden where he allowed many celebrities and fans to view all three of these projects at once. On one specific track that Kanye played, he mentioned Swift, saying: “I feel like me and Taylor Swift might still have sex, why? Because I made that bitch famous.”

When you first hear that line, it does sound offensive and I can completely understand why Swift would be upset with it. It sounds disrespectful and definitely doesn’t help Kanye’s reputation of being a jerk.

Not too long after the song was released, Kanye took to twitter to address the lyrics. He stated that he didn’t mean to dis Taylor Swift, and this seemingly vulgar word is used in hip hop as an endearing term. He also stated that Swift gave him her blessing.

When Swift decided to throw shade at West during her acceptance speech, it threw many of us for a loop. Swift stated “There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame.”

Personally, I feel like Kanye actually did help Swift’s career. Sure she had a fan base beforehand, but I don’t think she was nearly as important then as she was after the 2009 incident at the MTV awards. That incident was viewed by millions of people and had Kanye not interrupted her, I’m sure we all would have forgotten about her by now.

Kanye was wrong for interrupting her, but let’s be honest, Taylor Swift makes music for preteen suburban girls who have had their heart broken by childish boys. To me, all of her music sounds just about the same, and it does nothing for to advance the culture of music. Whether Kanye deserved the dis or not, one thing I can definitely say is she didn’t deserve that award.

Editorial: VSU should begin spirit days as a tradition during homecoming week

Homecoming week is the most exciting time of year for college students. As we are ...