Home / Campus Life / You don’t need Alcohol to have fun: Ways to enjoy Spring Break sober

You don’t need Alcohol to have fun: Ways to enjoy Spring Break sober

St. Andrews State Park in Pensacola Beach, Fla., one of the highlight beaches of the Florida panhandle. (Ellen Creager/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Written by Olivia Studdard, Staff Writer

Recently a ban was placed on alcoholic drinks on Panama City Beaches, affectionately known as “PCB” to college kids for years. However, this ban puts a damper on Spring Break for many beach-seeking college kids.

It’s been a staple for college students so long, they’re left scratching their heads and wondering, “How do I enjoy Spring Break 2016 without drinking?”

1. Go see a movie.

Beginning this weekend, there are new movies set to release that would be perfect for a date, a night out with the girls, or just to spend some time away from school and catch a good flick. Some new releases starting this weekend are: The Perfect Match, The Young Messiah, and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

1. Get dinner with some friends.

This is a great solution no matter where your time will be spent during Spring Break. Places such as Chipotle and Buffalo Wild Wings offer student discounts, plus with more than one person pitching in for the bill, it’s sure to come out cheaper.

1. Do a home project you’ve been putting off.

Now would be the time to knock out all of those Pinterest projects you’ve been dying to try but haven’t had the time. Dig out your crafting scissors and your old paint and make something beautiful.

1. Volunteer during your time off.

With school out for the week, it’s a great time to catch up on some community service hours, or to recommit to that New Year’s Resolution of serving others. The LAMP program in Valdosta helps out the homeless; nursing homes always need extra hands, as well as places like the Y and Boys and Girls Club. VSU provides a full listing of different opportunities students can volunteer with under the Student Life page on the website. As an added bonus, the only thing this will cost you over the break is your time.

If you plan to drink over Spring Break, do so safely and responsibly. A fun week isn’t worth the cost of a DUI or minor in possession charge. Be smart, enjoy your break, and remember that there are other ways to enjoy your time off outside of alcohol.

VSU Opera presents “Opera After Dark: Vibrant Voices”

On April 4, VSU’s Department of Music hosted its Opera After Dark show “Vibrant Voices,” ...