Home / Campus Life / VMA Edition: Nicki Minaj has a busy night; Kanye running for president?; MTV tries to be funny

VMA Edition: Nicki Minaj has a busy night; Kanye running for president?; MTV tries to be funny

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Kayla Stroud, Web Editor

Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift mime their way through

From opening the show to giving a shout out to her pastor, Nicki Minaj was quite the busy lady Sunday night. During her opening performance, always-victim Taylor Swift joined the rapper onstage to perform her hit song Bad Blood. They pantomimed and lip-synched their hearts out, mouthing the words and not a peep could be heard. The mic wasn’t on. I’m assuming that this was intentional. Good thing the back track was loud enough.

The performance was supposed to be a sign of solidarity after their minor beef a month ago. Swift, being her usual always-victim self, went all “woe is me” after Nicki called out the VMAs for not putting her video up for a “Video of the Year” nomination. Swift, thinking she was directing her diatribe towards her, would then tweet about Nicki’s argument saying that it wasn’t very ‘feminist” of her. She wasn’t. It all spiraled from there.

The whole thing was stupid. Good thing MTV was able to capitalize on the ‘feud’ and bring these two together to settle their ‘differences.’

Miley and Nicki’s Callout

In a situation that was spawned from the ‘Why-do-you-hate-women-gate?’ Miley Cyrus and Nicki Minaj’s maybe-maybe-not feud came to a head Sunday when the rapper called out the singer about what she said about her in an interview. While giving her acceptance speech for her Hip Hop Award, she calls out Miley by saying, “And now, back to this bitch that had a lot to say about me the other day in the press. Miley, what’s good?” Whether this was all manufactured drama by MTV to drum up viewers is up to you to decide. Based on the live crowd camera that caught Miley’s initial reaction to being called out, it definitely looked real. But Miley’s an actress, so who really knows how legit it was. I laughed. I was entertained. So, whatever.*shrugs*

Rebel/MTV being their usual ‘comedic’ selves

Rebel Wilson, known for her role in Pitch Perfect, came out to present an award. Then she tried to make a joke. A not-so-funny joke.

A joke where she basically brushed brushing off the tension surrounding police brutality and turned it into a bit about hating police strippers. *cue awkward laughter from the audience*

The thing is that she might have been able to get away with it, if she hadn’t been presenting for the Hip Hop Award. Subtle, MTV.

Kanye Makes a Statement

Kanye West accepted his MTV Vanguard Award from none other than former “pretend-foe” Taylor Swift; the same person who he hilariously embarrassed back in 2009. Swift gave a half-assed speech about Kanye’s College Dropout being the first album she purchased off iTunes (nice Apple plug, Swift) when she was 15. I’d like to see the receipts on that one. I have a strong feeling that she’s lying.

Upon taking the stage, Kanye stood around awkwardly for five minutes soaking in the crowd. Then, he had an impromptu slam poetry session. I nodded off during his three hour speech, waking up only to hear him suggest that he was a millennial. No, Kanye, you are not. Then he proclaimed that he was running for president in 2020. Sure, why not? Do it Kanye, you have my full support.

VPD creates summer program for area young people

The Valdosta Police Department (VPD) has announced a new youth program. Stand Against Youth Violence ...