Home / Fall 2015 / Best birth control options for college students

Best birth control options for college students

Photo Illustration: Kayla Stroud/THE SPECTATOR

Written by Julia Rodriquez, Staff Writer

There is no denying that both high school and college students have sex.  Yet, a lot of students were taught in their sex ed classes that the best birth control is abstinence.  This leaves sexually active young adults uninformed. And unfortunately, just knowing the basics won’t always keep them safe.

One of the most common contraceptives used by males is the condom.  According to Planned Parenthood, condoms prevent pregnancy and the transmission of sexually transmitted infections because they don’t allow the exchange of body fluids.  Planned Parenthood also says that the reason someone may contract an STI or become pregnant while using a condom is usually because it was used incorrectly, not because it broke.  The average cost of condoms is about $.50 to $1.00 each; boxes of them tend to be better deals. Depending on the brand, a box of ten may be $6.00 to $7.00.

Another form of birth control is the pill, one of the most common contraceptives among females.  This method will not protect against STI’s, but it will help prevent pregnancy.  There are many different kinds of pills, and it may take some trial and error to find what is best for an individual.

“I would suggest getting advice from the student health center or your doctor rather than your friends,” said VSU student, Cathy B. “Everyone’s body is different, and the best choice for your roommate may not work for you.”

Each pill has its own side effects and its own costs.  With some insurance plans it is possible to get the pill at no personal cost. However, without insurance the price can range anywhere from $15.00 – $50.00.

If cost is an issue with a contraceptive, it is usually possible to get free condoms from the local Planned Parenthood Center.

“The Lowndes Health Department is a wonderful, inexpensive resource for women who don’t have health insurance,” said Cathy B.

Besides condoms and withdrawal, there are not many choices of non-surgical forms of birth control for men.  Meanwhile, women have many options to choose from.  This is why it is important for women to talk to their doctor, so they can get to know their body and what it responds to best.  Both genders however, should always be aware of their bodies and be responsible for their own protection as well as their partners.

Source can be found HERE.

Editorial: VSU should begin spirit days as a tradition during homecoming week

Homecoming week is the most exciting time of year for college students. As we are ...

2 comments

1. one birth control can’t be good to everyone, it still depends upon how our body will react to these. For now, we don’t have to worry about birth control pills as we’re trying for baby#2, hope conceiveeasy can help us again.

2. This article missed an opportunity to remind everyone that the Number ONE foolproof form of birth control is abstinence. It IS, after all, an option. This option costs nothing, and requires no visit to the drug store, health center, or doctor. With this option there is no danger of STD’s or unplanned pregnancy.

As you are considering your options, please consider them ALL.

Please enjoy your youth. Ladies, spend your time with young men who respect you for who you are. Young men, please act around these young women the way you would want men to act around your sister or future daughters.