Home / Opinions / IVF allows Teigen to choose the sex of her unborn baby

IVF allows Teigen to choose the sex of her unborn baby

John Legend and wife Chrissy Teigen arrive at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2015. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Written by Erin Martin, Staff Writer

In recent celebrity news, people have started talking and forming strong opinions on the famous singer John Legend and his wife, and model Chrissy Teigen, after deciding to use in vitro fertilization to choose the sex of their baby. A few weeks ago, the couple announced that they would be having a baby girl, and Teigen was open and proud to talk about her method.

People tweeted about the couple, saying that they made a horrible decision for choosing IVF, over other options like adoption. Some people also lashed out at the couple for not choosing a boy over a girl. Instead of overreacting, Teigen calmly responded, and let her naysayers know that she was confident about her choice and was open minded.

For those of you who don’t know what in-vitro fertilization is, it’s the manual process of combining sperm and an egg together outside of the body and then putting it into the woman’s uterus. Conversations like this always come up when celebrities announce their decision. The first child was born through IVF in 1978, and it became popular shortly thereafter. Mariah Carey, Giuliana Rancic, Celine Dion, and Nicole Kidman are just a few celebrities who also used the procedure to have their kids.

Many people come from a religious standpoint that accuses people of interfering with God’s work. Other people use their moral angle that IVF is unethical, because a lot of the babies conceived through the process usually die.

I personally believe that people should always have a choice when it comes to their bodies. I love surprises, and feel that learning the sex of the baby is a beautiful moment to share with your significant other. However, some people may like having more influence over that specific decision. After all, the parents will be the ones raising he child. Another reason

I’m so open minded to IVF, is because it gives so many women the opportunity to bear a child if they were unable to conceive.

I think people should look at the benefits and testimonies of this medical procedure, before shunning the couples who use it.

Editorial: Racial slur controversy questions transparency of VSU administration

On Sept. 27, VSU communications professor Dr. Fred Earls stirred up controversy during one of ...