Home / Opinions / Saying Goodbye: Kelsey Dickerson

Saying Goodbye: Kelsey Dickerson

I came to school undecided about where I wanted my life to go. I wasn’t even sure I wanted to stay at VSU past freshman year. With my first semester drawing to a close, I declared a major, then changed it, then changed back. My parents wanted me to go in to nursing, but I knew it wasn’t for me. I liked English.
That January my current adviser, Dr. Miller, sent me an email that would set me on the path to where I am now, graduating with a B.A. in English as the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper.
Looking back on the three years I’ve spent at VSU, there are quite a few people I have to recognize for helping me get to where I am now. I worked as an assistant and as an editor with two different editorial staffs at The Spectator, and what I learned with them before becoming the EIC will stick with me forever.
Meeting people who genuinely care about the things that you do is very rare, and I will always cherish the late nights we spent together when The Spectator was still in weekly production. Though I don’t (and won’t ever) miss working until 2 or 3 a.m., I will miss the people and the friendships I made.
To the staff this year—well, you know how I feel. We rode out one of the biggest changes in the history of The Spectator, and we made it work. Though I wasn’t sure how well we would all mesh at first, I couldn’t have picked a better group of people to surround myself with.
Those of you that will be here next year: Juston, Julie, Preyah, Bryce, Bethany, Prince, Jacorey, Taylor, Savannah, Robert; I expect you’ll be even better than we are now. You’re more than capable.
Still, I’m not sure what all I really had to do with our success as a newspaper. I couldn’t be where I am with our advisers. Dr. Miller and Ted pushed me and all the other seniors to be the best we could be every time we set foot on campus. They gave me opportunity after opportunity to show what I could do.
I’m leaving campus much better off than I was coming on. No matter how much changed or stayed the same from freshman year, I’ve met some of my favorite people and done some of the most amazing things. I left the country for the first time, I won awards for my hard work, I did research with my classmates and I got to speak at open house to a lot of students who may be just like I was—unsure of where they’re going.
Though I’m starting a new chapter in my life and I’m still not exactly sure where I’m going to end up, I have a much better idea of where I’m headed. I’ve got the friends and the skills to get there, too.

Written by Kelsey Dickerson, Editor in Chief

Lady Blazers Win Outright GSC Championship

The Lady Blazers are outright Gulf South Conference Women’s Basketball champions after their victory on ...